Slabtown Minutes – 6/28/10

Comments Off on Slabtown Minutes – 6/28/10

Slabtown Plan Committee
Meeting Minutes
June 28, 2010
5:30 to 7:00 pm
Northrup Building, 2282 NW Northrup Ave.

Committee Members Attending: Ron Walters (co-chair), Don Genasci (co-chair), Greg Aldrich, Peggy Anderson, Craig Boretz, John Bradley, Mary Czarnecki, Steve Pinger, Bill Welch

Committee Members Not Attending: Brian Bramlett, Wayne Clark, Patricia Gardner, Dan O’Brien, Dan Volkmer

Guests Attending: Fran Goldstein, Bette Schei

No Motions.

No Votes.

*** End of Minutes ***

Meeting Summary:

The meeting was called to order at 5:37 pm.

The sole agenda item for the meeting was to refine the guiding principles for the Slabtown plan concept. The Committee was in strong agreement regarding its previously defined approach:

• Design consistent with Northwest District Plan (note departures)
• Incorporate input from Slabtown online survey and workshops
• Obtain regular feedback from the Slabtown committee and other NWDA committees
• Seek input from functional studies and experts
• Conduct additional surveys as needed
• Perform outreach to maximize awareness and participation
• Seek consensus and broad support (as much as possible)
• Provide options, alternatives, and caveats as appropriate

The Committee expressed verbal support for the Community Priorities as distilled from the Northwest District Plan, Slabtown workshops and survey, plus other resources that have standing with NWDA/neighborhood (e.g. NWDA-supported green street guidelines):

1. Neighborhood Character and History
• Create pedestrian and bike friendly streets
• Promote parks, squares and public spaces
• Moderate building height and density
• Sufficient density to support sustainability aspirations
• Create an appealing street-level environment
• Promote historic preservation and enhancement
• Historically relevant, iconic focal-point
• Preserve and highlight historic buildings
• Encourage access and linkage to the river

2. Community Needs
• Parks, squares and public spaces
• Public buildings and meeting places
• Community and activities center (all ages)
• School (K-12)
• Farmers market with local food
• Library

3. Transportation and Parking
• Create pedestrian and bike friendly streets
• Green streets (Pettygrove and others)
• Wide sidewalks
• Reduce reliance on automobile usage and the need for parking
• Car-free streets or zones
• Provide attractive public transit options

4. Sustainability
• Promote livability and social sustainability
• Environmental sustainability – improve air quality
• 20-minute neighborhood – true main street for resident needs
• Green and sustainable building practices

5. Housing
• Diversity – not just apartments and condos
• Affordable
• Live-work lofts
• Meet housing needs of seniors and aging population
• Eco-friendly

6. Other
• Job creation and economic development
• Mask I-405 and ramps
• Underground utilities
• LEED Neighborhood

These priorities will likely be refined over the course of Phase IV of the Slabtown Workplan.

The majority of the meeting was spent trying to clearly define a set of design guidelines for the Slabtown Work Group, which will develop the drawings and designs for the plan concept in July and August. The time available was not sufficient to reach consensus regarding the design guidelines. Committee members were asked to provide additional feedback by Thursday, July 1, which will be used to further refine the design guidelines. The Committee will address the guidelines again at its next meeting on Monday, July 12.

The Slabtown Committee will host Community Workshop #5 on Wednesday, July 28 at the COHO Theater at 2257 NW Raleigh. The tentative meeting time is from 5:30 to 8:00 pm.

Meeting adjourned at 7:03 pm.

Slabtown Meeting – June 28

Comments Off on Slabtown Meeting – June 28

The next meeting of the NWDA Slabtown Committee will be held Monday, June 28, from 5:30 to 7:00 pm in the Legacy Northrup Building first floor conference room at 2282 NW Northrup Avenue.

The main agenda item for the meeting is to define the guiding principles for development of design standards for the Slabtown vision and plan. The Committee will also discuss outreach opportunities as well as initial plans for the next Slabtown Community Workshop.

All Slabtown Committee meetings are public and all interested parties are encouraged to attend.

Save The Date – Wednesday, July 28

The Slabtown Committee will host Community Workshop #5 on Wednesday, July 28 at the COHO Theater. The tentative meeting time is from 5:30 to 8:00 pm.

Trans. Minutes – June 2, 2010

Comments Off on Trans. Minutes – June 2, 2010

NWDA Transportation Committee
June 2, 2010
Good Samaritan Hospital, Building #2, 2nd floor Conference Room
1040 NE 22nd Avenue

Committee Members Attending:
Phil Selinger, Chair
Greg Aldrich
Juliet Hyams
Jeanne Harrison
Sharon Kelly
Dustin Posner

Members Absent
Kim Carlson
Charlie Grist
Scott Seibert, excused
Devin Liebmann, excused

Guests
Rich Cassidy, City of Portland, Bureau of Transportation
Karl Doppelfeld, Resident
John Bradley, NWDA Planning Committee
Jill Long, Con-way
Pete Colt, Resident
Stan Penkin, Resident/Better Burnside Alliance
Jackie Gordon, Better Burnside Alliance
Mark Sieber, NWNW
Mark Schmidtman, Umpqua Bank
Alan Clausen, NW Examiner
Ron Walters – NWDA Board

After introductions at 6:00 p.m., Phil Selinger noted a change in the agenda to allow Rich Cassidy to present material about Sunday Parkways. He noted that the May minutes will be reviewed next month.

Sunday Parkways

Rich Cassidy explained the purpose and history of Sunday Parkways and announced that the fifth event this year would be in Northwest on September 26 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. One portion of the route, on Stark and Couch will not open until 11 a.m. because of another event. The Pearl Business Association will be actively involved particularly on NW 13th which will include an artwalk on stubs of Davis and Flanders. There will be numerous activities in Couch and Wallace Park with the focus being on Wallace Park which offers more room for activities. Rich explained that there will be several mailings to residents to let them know about the event. There will be approximately 300 volunteers plus police at intersections to allow vehicles through as needed. The Committee noted that there may be concerns about the removal of on-street parking during the event. Parking patterns are not the same on Sunday as during weekday street-sweeping. Rich will coordinate with Juliet Hyams to try to find alternative locations where residents can park during the event, such as the synagogue, Good Sam, Con-way, etc. The Committee expressed preliminary interest in having a booth at the event. Rich can be contacted at Rich.Cassiday@portland.or.gov with questions, to volunteer, or if NWDA wishes to have a booth at the event.

Updates
NW 23rd: Phil Selinger provided update on the NW 23 reconstruction noting it was done two weeks ahead of schedule. The group asked him to send Jean Senechal Biggs a thank you.

Slabtown
Greg Aldrich noted that the Slabtown Committee will be meeting twice a month during the summer with one of the students who had worked on the project to meld the three concepts into one and then bring back the result to the neighborhood at the end of summer. The next phase will start in September. Student presentations will be displayed on June 3 from 6 – 9 p.m. at 411 Park Avenue on the 4th floor. The next Slabtown meeting is from 5:30 – 7 p.m. next Monday in the Legacy Northrup conference room and then the second and fourth Mondays except for the next one, which will be on the 28th.

Pettygrove Greenstreet
Jeanne noted that Mauricio LeClerc of the Portland Bureau of Transportation, manager of the Pearl District Access and Circulation Plan does not have any way of incorporating the Pettygrove Greenstreet in our neighborhood into his project. John Bradley will mention the City’s commitment and lack of action on the Greenstreet in his testimony on the remand since the greenstreet was part of the resolution that was passed earlier. Phil noted that the 26th/Pettygrove greenstreet design probably is not possible to change at that this date, but noted that we do not want it to set a precedent for the overall greenstreet design. Phil will try to find out more about what coordination is happening between BES and PBOT.

Collision Rebuilders expansion

John Bradley noted that the Bureau of Development Services approved that design for Collision Rebuilders to expand northward, but PBOT nixed the new curb cut.

Cornell Coalition

Dustin Posner said the City installed radar monitoring at the Audubon site, but took down the 20 mph signs and added a 35 mph sign at the speed bumps. The city has been told about this problem and it should be corrected.

NW Remand Follow-up
The hearing on the remand will be June 10 at 2 p.m. at City Council. John explained the extent of the remand rezonings and traffic issues and noted that there is a revised report. The group discussed the assumptions behind the traffic analysis and whether the proposed mitigation at 23rd/Vaughn will come soon enough and be effective. In particular, Ron Walters expressed concern over the population and employment projections that were used as input to the transportation analysis. He noted that the projections appear to be too low to be credible. John will be preparing testimony for the hearing.

Burnside-Couch Couplet
A handout was provided summarizing the status of this project and the concerns expressed by the Better Burnside Alliance and neighbor, Pete Colt. Maps were also available for reference. Phil noted that he went to the Chinatown-Old Town meeting last night to hear a Burnside-Couch couplet presentation by PBOT. Phil noted that the Eastside couplet project is well into construction and even operation and that the City is interested in an interim implementation on the west side of the river. Ralph Swanson is the PBOT manager for the project, which has been scaled back into a phase one project from 2nd to 15th, but without the streetcar. This phase will cost $16 million plus another $1.2 million for the Phase 2 Streetcar Alternatives Analysis and will include no major construction (so as not to “throw away” any improvements in the future phases), but will paint curb extensions and add planters to widen sidewalks and separate pedestrians and cars. Head-in parking (170 spaces) would be added to the lower blocks, north of the median. Phase 2 would install the streetcar, but is not likely to be implemented for 8-10 years given funding expectations. Karl Dopplefeld and Pete Colt spoke about the dangerous intersection 16th and Burnside. Phil noted that Bill Hoffman from PBOT will come to next month’s meeting to talk more about the project from 15th west. Jackie Gordon and Stan Penkin of the Better Burnside Alliance presented their group’s perspective on the project and noted that traffic will quadruple on Couch. Jackie noted that Phase 1 doesn’t deliver much in the way of pedestrian improvements and noted that other studies have described other ways of fixing Burnside, including a plan called WBEEP that was done by consultants for the City in conjunction with the Brewery Blocks project, but hasn’t yet been presented to City Council. These guests provided handouts describing and supporting their positions. Phil asked the Committee how it wanted to weigh in on this. Greg said he does not support the couplet, but does think improvements are needed. Phil noted that PBOT staff say new signals would slow traffic to between 12 and 15 mph, consistent with other streets in the downtown grid. Ron Walters said he thought the project impacts our neighborhood and that we should take a position. Mark Sieber noted that the neighborhood’s previous position was to support the changes primarily as it related to west of 16th because it would have resulted in some pedestrian improvements and slower traffic. He noted that since then, our part of the project has been chopped off and there is no guarantee that our part of Burnside Street would benefit. Phil noted that the streetcar using the couplet could end up turning north, using 18th and 19th and Pete noted that was not consistent with the neighborhood’s recommendations on the Streetcar Master Plan and that he opposed that. Dustin noted that the streetcar could go north on several streets and that a preferred route had not yet been chosen. Mark said he wasn’t sure that the City realized that there may be less support for the Phase 1 project than the project as a whole. Ron noted that urban renewal boundaries will impact where the streetcar will go. Dustin wants us to have more information about the alternative (WBEEP) plan and isn’t committed either way at this point, but does believe that Phase 2 will happen. Jeanne noted that she has concerns about elements of Phase 1.

Phil adjourned the meeting at 7:50 p.m. and noted that we will hear more next month about the Burnside/Couch project.

Board Minutes – May 2010

Comments Off on Board Minutes – May 2010

Minutes from the May 2010 NWDA Board meeting can be downloaded by clicking on the link below:

NWDA BoD Minutes – 2010 05 17

Board Minutes – April 2010

Comments Off on Board Minutes – April 2010

Minutes from the April 2010 NWDA Board meeting can be downloaded by clicking on the link below:

NWDA BoD Minutes – 2010 04 19

Board Minutes – March 2010

Comments Off on Board Minutes – March 2010

Minutes from the March 2010 NWDA Board meeting can be downloaded by clicking on the link below:

NWDA BoD Minutes – 2010 03 29

Board Meeting – July 2010

Comments Off on Board Meeting – July 2010

The July 2010 NWDA Board Meeting will be held on Monday, July 19, from 6 to 7:30 pm in the Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Building #2, 2nd Floor Conference Room, at 1040 NW 22nd Avenue, directly across from Good Samaritan Hospital between Lovejoy and Marshall Streets.

Slabtown Minutes – 6/7/10

Comments Off on Slabtown Minutes – 6/7/10

Slabtown Plan Committee
Meeting Minutes
Jun 7, 2010
5:30 to 7:00 pm
Northrup Building, 2282 NW Northrup Ave.

Committee Members Attending: Ron Walters (co-chair), Don Genasci (co-chair), Craig Boretz, Mary Czarnecki, Steve Pinger, Bill Welch

Committee Members Not Attending: Greg Aldrich, Peggy Anderson, John Bradley, Brian Bramlett, Wayne Clark, Patricia Gardner, Dan O’Brien, Dan Volkmer

Guests Attending: Fran Goldstein

No Motions.

No Votes.

*** End of Minutes ***

Meeting Summary:

The meeting was called to order at 5:38 pm.

The Committee decided it did not need to review the Slabtown Phase IV workplan.

The Commitee viewed a short slide show of photos from the final U of O study design concepts presentation on June 3.

The majority of the meeting was spent discussing the process for consolidating the current three master plan concepts into a single master plan concept. The Committee decided that the best approach to achieving a quality plan with broad support would be to develop a list of principles – for both process and substance – that will guide development of the plan.

The initial list of principles discussed is as follows:

i. Consistent with Northwest District Plan (note departures)
ii. Incorporate input from online survey and workshops
iii. Regular feedback from this Committee & others
iv. Seek input from functional studies and experts
v. Conduct additional surveys as needed
vi. Perform outreach to maximize awareness and participation
vii. Seek consensus and broad support (as much as possible)
viii. Provide options, alternatives, and caveats as appropriate

Mary Czarnecki, Steve Pinger, and Don Genasci volunteered to distill the Northwest District Plan into guiding principles to be considered by the Committee at the next Committee meeting on June 28.

The Committee decided it would like to host a minimum of two more Community Workshops to solicit ideas and feedback from the public. The first workshop in Phase IV – Slabtown Community Workshop #5 – will be held Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at the COHO Theater on NW Raleigh. Time is TBD.

The Committee agreed it would be a good idea to invite developers, architects, and urban planners to weigh in on principles and plans to provide perspective on economics, attractiveness, and feasibility, with the goal of creating a plan that is grounded in reality. This is likely first to occur in July, when there are drafts of plans that can be reviewed.

The group briefly discussed other principles such as livability and sustainability, both of which were strongly supported at the Slabtown Community workshops and in the Slabtown survey. The Committee briefly discussed other standards such as LEED for Neighborhood Development, which will be discussed at the next Committee meeting. More information is available at the U.S. Green Building Council website.

The next Slabtown meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 28, 5:30 to 7:00 pm in the Legacy Northrup Building first floor conference room at 2282 NW Northrup Ave.

The meeting adjourned at 7:00 pm.

H&E Minutes – 5/10/10

Comments Off on H&E Minutes – 5/10/10

Present: Caroline Skinner, Allan Classen (Examiner) Sujata Joshi (Health Div.) Julie Early-Alberts (Health Div) Monica Russell (DEQ) Bob L, Dr. Bob Amundson, Joe A. Keller, Myrian Alaux, Biljana Milkovska, Dr. Chris Bugas, Paul Koberstein, (Examiner) Sharon Genasci

Sujata Joshi & Julie Early Alberts from the Oregon Health Division spoke to us about their work with the Oregon cancer registry. Sujata, an epidemiologist, is going to work with our neighborhood to provide data from the cancer registry that will be broken down to zipcode or finer levels, so we can look at health data in a particular geographic area.

She was pleased to hear about the detailed monitoring of our airshed over the years by the neighbors, as this will provide more information on possible environmental factors. She took some trouble to point out difficulties in this work, as all results must be age adjusted (older people are more apt to get cancer) people move in and out of the neighborhood, and there is the question of people who work in the neighborhood, but do not live here (they will not be included). Also, the registry depends on doctors reporting a diagnosis. Naturopaths she thought were not included.

The good news is she can access for us by zipcode now, using data from 1996 to 2007. She thought she might be able to access data down to the census track level (2000 people) though there might be confidentiality problems with the smaller group.

She also thought she would be able to compare different neighborhoods.

We will ask our neighbors for a list of questions we want answered, any specific contaminants, childhood cancers, all types of cancers etc.

Paul Koberstein spoke about his research on cancer causing pollutants in the neighborhood air. He then asked the group how the air pollution affected the way they live in the neighborhood? Do they have to buy air purifiers? Do they limit time in the garden? Do they keep windows closed when it is hot? etc.

There was a discussion about prevention needing to be the focus of groups concerned about cancer- rather than paying for the cure, why not prevent it in the first place?

When asked, Monica said that 70 per cent of DEQ’s budget comes from permitting polluters to pollute. Some commented on Esco odors reaching higher on the Wildwood Trail in Forest Park.

Sharon reminded people of the permit hearings coming up: May 17th, 70 Couch Street, Oil Company hearing, White Stag Building, Room 142/144, 6:30 pm.
Neighbors are asked to come to the hearing and speak about any fuel odors they are noticing in the neighborhood.

May 18th, Public hearing on DEQ health benchmarks, 6:00 ODOT building, Main Floor, Conference room AB 123 NW Flanders. Benchmarks are being set for manganese, lead, ethyl benzene and mercury. There are no safe levels for these compounds. Come and testify.

– Sharon Genasci, Chair, NWDA Health & Environment Committee

Annual Meeting & Election

The 2010 NWDA Annual Meeting and Election is scheduled for Monday, June 14, from 6 to 7:30 pm in the Legacy Good Samaritan Wistar Morris Room at 1015 NW 22nd Avenue. The NWDA June Board meeting will immediately follow the Annual Meeting.

At the Annual Meeting, NWDA members will have the opportunity to vote to fill open seats on the Board of Directors and the President position.

Members will be invited to vote on proposed revisions to the NWDA bylaws. The proposed changes below have been compiled by members of the NWDA Executive Committee over the past several years.

The first link below will allow you to download the most current proposed revised bylaws, with revisions noted in red. For ease of reading, the second link will allow you to download a clean version of the file, which includes the proposed revisions without red-lining. Please familiarize yourself with the proposed revisions prior to the meeting.

Redline NWDA Bylaws – Proposed_Revisions – June 2010

NWDA Bylaws – Proposed_Revisions – June 2010

Members are invited to submit proposed amendments to bylaws. If you would like to propose changes to the bylaws for consideration by the membership, please email your proposal to NWDA 2nd Vice President Tavo Cruz at gustavocruz@nobhilllaw.com and NWNW Executive Director Mark Sieber at mark@nwnw.org.

To be considered for a vote by the NWDA membership, proposed amendments must be recommended by the Board of Directors or approved by a petition signed by at least ten (10) members. The deadline for submitting proposed amendments for consideration at the 2010 Annual Meeting was 6 pm PT on Monday, June 7, 2010.

Two proposed amendments were received from members:

Proposed Bylaws Amendment – Colt

Proposed Bylaws Amendments – Marino

10 members must sign a petition to bring each of these proposed amendments to a vote by the membership.

Please note: the NWDA has not vetted the above member-proposed amendments to determine if they are compatible with each other, with Oregon non-profit corporation statutes, or with ONI and NWNW guidelines.

If you have questions or concerns regarding the Annual Meeting, bylaws, or election, please email Mark Sieber at mark@nwnw.org.

Next Page »