What’s New?

Thank you for visiting our website. We invite residents, business owners, employees, and visitors to participate on the website by sharing your comments on any or all of the many topics now appearing on the website. We look forward to your input and participation in the neighborhood. Please sign up for our newsletter to keep up-to-date on neighborhood events and activities. – Phil Selinger, President NWDA

Blocks 294-5 (Drawings)

2015 03 Blocks 294-5 03 – App B – Design Drawings

April 9th Unofficial Notes – NOT Minutes

2015-04-09 NWDA Planning Cte

March 26th Unofficial Notes – NOT Minutes

2015-03-26 NWDA Planning Cte

NWDA Air Quality Committee Minutes, 4.13.15

Present: Kathy Sharp, Bob L David Arrow, Evan Farnham, Jorjan Parker, Sharon Genasci

Demolition toxics was the subject of Sharon’s testimony in Salem and to Portland City Commissioners, however, the city seems to have decided not to deal seriously with the public safety issue.

The train idling situation continues, so we are in discussions to do some monitoring there for diesel particulate.

Kathy and Sharon met with Good Sam staff, who had prepared a hospital draft of our Good Neighbor Clean Diesel Agreement. They accepted in principle that tier 4 would be the standard for construction equipment for the new emergency room construction. They are also talking about clean diesel in their fleet. The AQC is looking over their draft to prepare for the next meeting.

Kathy described another incident at the hospital when power was off, and the generator was in use, flooding the mothers and babies unit with diesel fumes. There was a misunderstanding with the facilities department, who had failed to close the mothers and babies unit air intake, which is near the generator. Good Sam has promised to correct this problem.

Bob l prepared a summary of ESCO odor complaints on the AQC website, www.portlandair.org. All of these went to DEQ and to ESCO, as well as to our committee. In 2014, we received 62 complaints, 31 were about ESCO odors. In 2015, we received 17 complaints, 8 for ESCO.

The NAC (Neighborhood Advisory Committee for ESCO’s GNA), was held on April 16 at Friendly House. The annual tour of ESCO’s main plant on Vaughn will be on April 30th. It is open to the public, they will take the first 12 people to sign up. So if you are interested in seeing the plant, call Shannon Huggins at ESCO for information, 503 778 6772.

Sharon Genasci, Chair, NWDA Air Quality Committee

NWDA Air Quality Committee Agenda

Comments Off

AGENDA, NWDA Air Quality Committee Meeting

(7:00 pm, Breakfast Room, Silver Cloud Inn, NW 24th Place & Vaughn)

April 13, 2015

1. Demolition toxics, asbestos & lead – Sharon
2. Monitoring
3. Good Sam Clean Diesel discussions – Kathy
4. Train Idling
5. Report on clean diesel legislation – Kathy

Sewer repair on NW Raleigh and Quimby

Comments Off

The following notice details a sewer repair project on NW Raleigh and on NW Quimby between NW21st and NW 22nd:

Construction Notice NW Quimby and Raleigh Sewer Replacement Project Businesses and Neighbors James W. Fowler Co. has contracted with the City of Portland Bureau of Environmental Services to complete the above referenced project. Construction is scheduled to begin near your property on March 23rd, 2015 and is anticipated to complete by July 21st, 2015. Work hours: Standard City of Portland construction hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. There may be work during the same hours on Saturdays if needed. What to expect during construction: * Construction creates noise, vibration and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity. * You should expect traffic delays in and near the work area. Please observe traffic control signs and follow the directions of flaggers. * Local access to all properties will be maintained, but construction activities may impact normal use of your driveway or entrance to your business. * On-street parking will be restricted within work zones to create a safe work environment and accommodate equipment and materials. * Some equipment and materials will be stored on your street or nearby streets overnight. * A variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, subcontractor schedules, and availability of materials may cause periods of inactivity. * A city inspector will be on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with an immediate need during construction. * Your sewer service and other utilities should not be interrupted during construction. If you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues, medical or business deliveries or have questions about this project, please contact: City of Portland – Ashley Tjaden – 503-823-5281 or JW Fowler 24hour Emergency Contact: Jim Seely – 503-519-6723 or Phiet Vuong – 503-932- 6602 In case of sewer emergency, please call Maintenance directly at 503-823-1700 and press 1.

Traffic Advisory

Comments Off

TRAFFIC ADVISORY: WINTER PAVING TO CLOSE LANES ON NW NORTHRUP STREET FROM NW 14TH TO NW 23RD AVENUES MARCH 23 THROUGH APRIL 3

News Release from Portland Bureau of Transportation
Posted on FlashAlert: March 19th, 2015 9:45 AM

The City of Portland Bureau of Transportation advises the traveling public that street improvements will require lane closures on NW Northrup Street from NW 14th Avenue to NW 23rd Avenue Monday, March 23 through Friday, April 3, 7 a.m. through 5 p.m. each work day.

Crews are improving 1.37 lane miles of the street, grinding down old asphalt and preparing the street for repaving at a later date when weather permits.

Parking will be removed during the project from NW 14th to 16th avenues to make way for work crews and through traffic. The Portland Streetcar will operate as usual.

PBOT street improvement crews work through the winter, adjusting tasks based on weather conditions. Crews will grind down old asphalt and prepare street surfaces for paving even in cold or rainy conditions. They will return to complete paving during a window of dry weather.

Streets with ground down surfaces are open for travel. Lane closures are only in effect during project hours. Access will be maintained for businesses and residents during the project.

The traveling public is advised to expect delays while repairs are being made. We ask the public to travel cautiously, observe all lane closures and directions by flaggers, and use alternate routes if possible. This work is weather-dependent and the schedule may change

Board Meeting – Mon, March 16

Comments Off

There will be a meeting of the NWDA Board of Directors on Monday, March 16, from 6:00 pm to 7:45 pm in the Wilcox Building Room 102. The agenda is being finalized and will be posted shortly.

NWDA Air Quality Committee Minutes 3.9.15

Comments Off

Minutes, AQC Meeting, 3.9.15
Silver Cloud Inn, Breakfast Room

Present: Kathy Sharp, Bob l, Myriam Alaux, Joe Keller, Greg Bourget, Jorjan Parker, Evan Farnham, Sharon Genasci

First we discussed the current clean diesel project with John Residential (New Seasons Store) which is going well. Our Site Logistics Plan Group meets with John Residential Engineer, Sarah Jimenez to discuss equipment on site. She also supplies us with bi weekly updates on lists of equipment planned for the coming weeks.

John Residential passed a copy of our Clean Diesel Agreement to Anderson Construction, who are building housing and a square nearby. Anderson then reached an informal agreement with us concerning some items in the John Residential Agreement. However, there will be no formal agreement as such.

Good Samaritan Hospital is meeting with us in April to discuss a clean diesel agreement, after we prepared a document for them based on the John Residential agreement.

The train idling problem continues, with trains idling all night near affordable and other housing units, where people are complaining of diesel particulate in their bedrooms. We are talking to some experts about monitoring for diesel particulate.

Sharon reported on UNR (United Neighborhoods for Reform) testimony to the City Council. She represented the NWDA Air Quality Committee, one of 41 neighborhoods in UNR. She testified with Judy Parsons from UNR on the toxic aspects of unregulated demolitions emitting asbestos and lead into neighborhood air when demolishing older homes and other buildings. Meetings with staff for most of the Commissioners followed. The City is currently exploring regulations and enforcement for future demolitions.

Sharon, Kevin Downing (DEQ) and Jill Long, attorney for Con-way, presented at a Clean Diesel session, based on the clean diesel agreement with CE John (now John Residential) at a neighborhood Summit. The neighborhood activist Summit was organized by ONI (Office of Neighborhood Involvement) and was held at the Ambridge Center on MLK on February 28.

Complaints on our website, (www.portlandair.org) about odors from ESCO and Cascade Rubber (they make rubber parts for ESCO on Quimby and 19th) are coming in again. And one complaint from a resident in new housing on Savior between NW 22nd and 23rd. These complaints are sent to DEQ and to the NWDA Air Quality Committee. Cascade Rubber, we are told by the City is “grandfathered in,” because the City odor ordinance was adopted on May 29, 1992. The business started before that date. The AQC is considering other options.

Sharon Genasci, Chair, NWDA Air Quality Committee

3-5-15 Unofficial Notes – NOT MINUTES

Comments Off

NWDA Planning Cte 2015-03-05

 

John Bradley, Roger Vrilakas, Bill Welch, Steve Pinger, Don Genasci,

 

Bradley–can we send a brief on the Con-way Square to the commission?

 

Pinger–I think it would be better to send it to the development team, with whom we have a good relationship.

 

Welch–let’s assume we don’t send it, the proposal goes through, staff sends it to the commission.

 

Bradley–this is a DAR, I think we should send it in.

 

Pinger–we should send it to the development team, the developer’s architects.

 

Vrilakas–I think we should point out that it’s our square, 16000 square feet, etc.

 

Pinger–that will all come out in the process.

 

Bradley–if you wanted to be more circumspect, you could send the set of proposals and point out which one is preferred.

 

Genasci–if we gave it to the staff, that might be gentler–and to the development team, with a nice letter saying we’ve worked with the development team, and have certain reservations. We haven’t seen what the next version is.

 

Pinger–I’m surprised by that: they aren’t on the commission schedule. The next open time is early April.

 

Vrilakas–we should wait to send this until they’ve scheduled with the commission.

 

Pinger–I’ll check with staff to see where this is in the process.

 

Bradley–sounds good, once it’s submitted we’ll send something about our preferences. The committee doesn’t have to vote today.

 

Vrilakas–this is one of the few instances of us being concurrent with the development rather than simply responding to a submittal.

 

Pinger–25th and Raleigh–to Adjustment Committee. Ruling won’t be for a few weeks. Sympathetic to the appeal, it seemed.

 

Bradley–that surprises me, the current building has the same setbacks.

 

Vrilakas–less, but the mass is much larger.

 

Bradley–we voted very closely on that, approved two of the setbacks, and against one. Vote was 4 to 3. The applicants went away thinking they were OK. We have somewhat shifted in midstream: said go work with the neighbors, now we’re on the side of the appeal. Did I rush that?

 

Pinger–the thing that came up, I remembered the motion differently.

 

Welch–we could summarize why we vote like we do, for the reviewers. Explain our votes–commissions do that before they vote.

 

Pinger–when it came up last week that we were going to testify in support of the appeal, it seemed normal.

 

Bradley–good idea to explain votes. I’ll give each application a half hour.

 

Pinger–Tess O’Brien appeal was rejected unanimously. A lawyer could have done better, we could have been more strident my presentation. The council thanked me for the well reasoned argument and civility. We were trying to force a question about what does D7 mean, we did that: Hales said he read the guideline differently. The way I framed our first slide–appeal is about the purview of discretionary design. How do you transition to denser areas? Council seemed reticent to take on this bigger question.

 

Bradley–we’ve been three times for design review, and lost all three. The council interpreted code differently than we did. I’m not sure how much we should appeal, because this spins our wheels–unless there’s something big. No saying don’t appeal, but design guidelines appeals aren’t working.

 

Pinger–Ballow & Wright, different, was successful, as was Goose Hollow’s appeal of Block 7. Amanda’s memo was telling staff to look at this more rigorously, and that may be in response to these issues.

 

Genasci–Each time we take a developer to a hearing, that’s a cost and a lesson.

 

Vrilakas–can we send Amanda a letter thanking her for the memo?

 

Bradley–yes, why don’t you draft it and bring it back to the committee.

 

Pinger–shall we communicate with Council about Tess O’Brien?

 

Welch–I didn’t hear you say that they had said anything to talk about?

 

Bradley–any comment from them about the BDS error? (no) Tavo was to write a letter on the error to the city attorney, has that been done?

 

Pinger–I will draft something. There were some significant ideas we raised about discretionary design review.

 

I have a question–I gave a presentation, and they did, and I had an opportunity to rebut, but I didn’t. There wasn’t anything directly to rebut, except the 55 meetings claim etc, but didn’t seem worth that. The ‘generous courtyard’ played as something great. It’s the obvious best way to organize that odd through-block parcel. To say he could have done a denser project wasn’t accurate, but I decided not to go after that.

 

Vrilakas–I think that anytime you can have the last word, we should take it. Lawyers love that.

 

Comp Plan

 

Bradley–I have the previous testimony, which I will write up and send to the group. The next meeting is the 12th.

 

Rezoning: since they’ve asked us specifically for map adjustments, should we ask for the RH downzone in the Historic District as proposed by Wendy?

 

RH & EXd?

 

Genasci–the interest in these properties is that the value of development means redevelopment is being proposed.

 

Welch–the reason there is this group of RH is that Michaelson and others in the 1970’s were trying to keep the industrial area from expanding, and the zoning increased the property value so that this was not viable.

 

Pinger–last week I heard someone was proposing something other than R2, but limiting FAR.

 

Bradley–that’s not clean and neat, won’t work.

 

There’s also a swath of R2 around Wallace Park–do we want to ask for R5, which would better match the existing pattern and framework.

 

Genasci–there are quite a few apartment buildings along 25th. Could you rebuild?

 

Bradley–the area around Catherine Paglin’s is R2.

 

Genasci–part of the appeal of the area is the mix: large houses, small apartment buildings. Not tall buildings.

 

Bradley–I have concerns about how R2 can be used.

 

Pinger–I didn’t think I’d have to face the point of gentrification where my house could be torn down for three townhomes. what gets my attention is they’re paying $650,000 for a lot to tear down home.

Next Page »