NWDA Transportation Committee December 2012 Minutes

Comments Off on NWDA Transportation Committee December 2012 Minutes

NWDA Transportation Committee
December 5, 2012, 6 p.m.
Good Samaritan Hospital, Building #2, 1040 NW 22nd Ave

2nd floor conference room

Members present:

Phil Selinger, Chair, Dustin Posner, Jeanne Harrison, Jonathan Winslow, Greg Aldrich

Members not present:

Juliet Hyams, Scott Siebert

Also attending

: Steve Pinger, Juli Ernst (resident), Travis Ernst (resident), Allan Clausen (NW Examiner)

Phil called the meeting to order 6:05 p.m.

Community Concerns:

Travis and Juli Ernst handed out a description of the pedestrian crossings at NW 22nd and Glisan and 22nd and Everett, including pictures. They asked that the committee investigate why the pedestrian crossings are marked as they are. Phil will follow up with PBOT staff.

Updates:

Cornell Road

– Dustin

Dustin noted that no meeting will be held in December. There was a short discussion about the effectiveness of the new style speed bumps that facilitate fire trucks but also allow motorists to avoid them by crossing the center line when there is no oncoming traffic.

Sidewalk Management

The Sustainability and Livability Committee has done additional inventory work on publication boxes in Old Town/Chinatown. The Lloyd TMA has identified publication boxes as an issue (some are being used for possibly criminal activity) and are interested in our efforts.

Parking Policy

The Planning Committee will meet tomorrow to discuss the implications of apartment buildings constructed without parking. The committee discussed recent letters and documents that have been produced by WPC and the City. It was noted that some buildings recently built have some parking. It was the feeling of the Committee that the proposed TPMA, if adopted, would help alleviate some of these issues. There was a discussion of whether mode split could help determine what is the right amount of off-street parking. The availability of transit service, bike parking, car-sharing, regulating on-street parking could all be factored in. There was also a question about whether developers could be required to pay into a fund when off-site parking was not provided. Jeanne and Phil will attend the Planning meeting.

Committee Membership

Scott Siebert hasn’t responded to an email regarding his ongoing participation on the committee. Greg made a motion, seconded by Jonathan, to accept Scott’s as no longer a member of the committee, to thank him for his service, and to welcome him back when he is able.

Phil noted that he is looking for someone to replace him as committee chair.

NW Parking Plan

The NW Parking Plan is at City Council at 3 p.m. on Thursday. The Committee reviewed Tavo Cruz’ testimony for the hearing. There was a discussion about whether the proposed make-up of TPMA may be slanted to business interests. Phil and Jeanne had asked that the testimony not include a concern about apartment construction without parking because it could dilute the testimony’s impact. Greg was concerned that the testimony might be construed to not allow commercial parking for special events. A separate question about whether residents could purchase permits and then resell them to commuters or others.

Off-Street Parking

Phil led a discussion about what the Committee’s position should be about apartments getting built without parking. He noted that he sensed that our Committee has a different perspective than the Planning Committee. We have focused on reducing demand through travel options, shared parking and what might be the particular needs of different development types, for instance, market housing versus subsidized or senior housing. Greg questioned whether people are actually ready to give up cars or whether they may be storing cars and driving less. We also discussed the demographic shifts in the neighborhood through condo conversions and rising housing prices and incomes. Dustin noted that at one time, there were several small-scale commercial parking garages that developed as our streetcar neighborhood transitioned to a more car-dominated neighborhood.

Two related questions came up without answers: How is loading for goods and services handled in buildings without parking and how are disabled residents able to access special service vehicles like the LIFT or family/friends’ vehicles.

It was decided that Jeanne would start to draft an internal memo that would discuss the history of zoning/development in the neighborhood, our principles, expectations for the TPMA in terms of tracking commuter parking. In general, the memo should focus on approaches that do not include requiring parking new development where it is not currently required. Jeanne will provide a draft to Phil by the end of the year with a draft going out to the rest of the committee before the next meeting.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be January 9, 2013. Phil will confirm a location.

The meeting adjourned around 7:20 p.m.

Phil adjourned the meeting at approximately 7:30 p.m.

NWDA Transportation Committee February 2013 Minutes

Comments Off on NWDA Transportation Committee February 2013 Minutes

NWDA Transportation Committee

February 6, 2013 6 p.m.

Good Samaritan Hospital, Northrup Building, 2282 NW Northrup

2nd floor conference room

Members present:

Phil Selinger, Chair, Dustin Posner, Jeanne Harrison, Jonathan Winslow, Greg Aldrich, Juliet Hyams

Also attending:

Steve Engel (Audubon), Ron Walters, NWDA President, Clay Thompson (TriMet), Allen Clausen (NW Examiner)

Phil called the meeting to order 6:05 p.m. and followed with introductions.

TriMet Service

Clay Thompson handed out a summary of average boarding in the neighborhood comparing Fall 2011 to Fall 2012. There has been a drop in streetcar usage maybe due to the loss of Fareless Rail. Bus ridership is up slightly. He said he would need a longer time period to confirm why the changes have occurred. Phil led a discussion of the questions the committee raised in its November 9 letter to TriMet.

1) What are the chances of getting service restored?

It depends on the economy and payroll taxes. The #15 line would be a priority because of its status as “frequent service.”

2) What became of the shelters that removed along NW 25th?

Clay said he will find out.

3) What can be done to improve safety at the #15 to #16 transfer?

Clay will find out if any improvements have been made. It was suggested that one of the removed shelters could be installed at that location.

4) What is the possibility of rerouting the #16 line to go onto NW 18th and 19th and continuing to Collins Circle rather than along Naito Parkway?

Not now.

Chapman School Swift Watch

Phil and Steve Engle led a discussion about the issues surrounding the Swift Watch events. They presented handouts about the issues (prepared by Friends of Swifts) and a potential traffic plan. The third handout was a draft letter from NWDA to Commissioner Amanda Fritz about the issue and asking for City involvement. After a discussion, Phil agreed to slightly revise the letter.

Updates

Fruit and Flower complaint about traffic backing up and blocking streets and idling. Jeanne noted that she had been there around 4 p.m. and there was only one car present. She suggested that others might want to visit the site later in the afternoon.

Parking for apartments. Phil, Tavo, and Ron are working on language for a potential code change that would require a trip management plan for developers to provide when they come for design advice from the Planning Committee. Jeanne noted that proposed code language for new apartment buildings should come out this week. She will forward the link to Phil and Ron.

Phil adjourned the meeting at 7:40 p.m.

Phil adjourned the meeting at approximately 7:30 p.m.

NWDA Board Meeting Minutes 2-25-13

Comments Off on NWDA Board Meeting Minutes 2-25-13

NWDA_Minutes 022513.pdf

NWDA Executive Committee Minutes 03-13-13

Comments Off on NWDA Executive Committee Minutes 03-13-13

NWDA Executive Committee Minutes, March 13, 2013NWNW Office, 2257 NW Raleigh St, Portland, 8-9am

Members in attendance: Ron Walters, Phil Selinger, Mary Ann Pastene, Juliet Hyams, Steve Pinger

Guests in attendance: Claudia Martin, Mark Seiber

Juliet Hyams will prepare a motion regarding comments to Washington Park Parking Plan.

March board meeting agenda was established.

NWDA Board Meeting Agenda 03-18-13

Comments Off on NWDA Board Meeting Agenda 03-18-13

NWDA Board Meeting
Monday, March 18, 2013, 6:00 to 7:45 pm
Legacy Good Samaritan, Building #2 Conference Room, 2nd Floor, 1040 NW 22 Ave. (NOTE: new location)

Agenda: NWDA_Agenda_031813-2.pdf

Supporting Documents:
NWDA_Minutes 022513.pdf
NWDA_Minutes_101512.pdf

Slabtown Association

Comments Off on Slabtown Association

Neighbors interested in forming a Slabtown business / community association are invited to a public meeting to hear general goals and possible directions for the organization:

Tuesday, March 19, 8 a.m.

Holiday Inn Express, West Hills Room

2333 NW Vaughn St.

NWDA Air Quality Committee Minutes

Comments Off on NWDA Air Quality Committee Minutes

3.11.13

Minutes, NWDA Air Quality Committee Meeting

Present: Bill Welch, Bob L., Kathy Sharp, Myriam Alaux, Jorjan Parker, Evan Farnham, Sharon Genasci

We first had an update on the status of the Con-way Construction Clean Diesel GNA work from Kathy and Sharon. A meeting is planned for next Tuesday at Jill Long’s office (She is the Con-way lawyer). Craig Boretz, CEO, Con-way, Jill Long, Tom DiChiara, CE John, Don Forrest, New Seasons, Kevin Downing, ODEQ, Kathy Sharp, NWDA Board and Sharon Genasci, NWDA AQC Chair will be there to discuss the NWDA proposal for clean diesel in the Con-way master plan area construction.

By way of preparation, Kathy, Kevin and Sharon held a conference call with Ramesh Ramen from New York. He was a project manager running a clean diesel project for the twin towers area construction after September 11th. He was very encouraging about the use of clean diesel in New York, where it has been policy for many years. He offered assistance to help contractors in the Con-way area to learn more about the program and its importance.

Sharon explained a motion to add the words, “and all parties connected to Con-way
development in the master plan area” to the existing NWDA Board motion (10.15.12) to help clarify that negotiations for a clean diesel GNA will of necessity involve contacting all parties involved in the Con-way development. The new motion reads,

“The NWDA AQC asks the Board to affirm the intent and content of the Clean Diesel Draft Discussion Points for a Con-way clean diesel GNA (Good Neighbor Agreement). The NWDA/AQC representatives will use the Discussion Points as a guide in negotiating with Con-way and all parties connected to Con-way development in the master plan area, but the Board acknowledges that the give and take between the parties may ultimately result in a GNA that differs in some respects from the Discussion Points.”

This motion passed the committee unanimously, and will go to the NWDA Board.

Bob L spoke about the website issues. He was asked by the committee to make some changes to the odor complaint form to adjust to the new practice decided at the last GNA Advisory Committee to send all Esco odor complaints to Esco, so they can investigate what was happening at the plant at the time of the complaint.

Kathy talked about the Conduct of Construction piece she is working on to
add such issues as dust and noise to the Con-way GNA after the clean diesel part is agreed.

Submitted by Sharon Genasci, Chair, NWDA Air Quality Committee

NWDA Air Quality Committee Agenda 3.11.13

Comments Off on NWDA Air Quality Committee Agenda 3.11.13

Meeting on Monday, March 11, 2013 at Silver Cloud Inn Breakfast Room (Vaughn & 24th Place) at 7:00 pm

1. Update on NWDA Board vote on Kathy Sharp, point person for
Conway construction clean diesel GNA and subsequent plans. – Kathy & Sharon

2. Update on NWDA Air Quality Committee Work Plan – Sharon

3. Update on website and odor complaints, Bob L.

Executive Committee – Date Change

Comments Off on Executive Committee – Date Change

The NWDA Executive Committee meeting normally scheduled for Wednesday, March 6, has been changed to Wednesday, March 13, 8 to 9 am, NWNW at 2257 NW Raleigh Street.